In this article we will know different methods to stop a bloody nose. Bloody nose, medically termed as Epistaxes, is a very common condition. There are many tiny blood vessels present in the inner. It is among the most sensitive parts of our body. When these tiny vessels get disturbed, blood starts flowing out through a nostril, or sometimes even both nostrils. This bleeding can be light or heavy. It can last from several seconds to several minutes. Although, anyone can suffer bloody nose, but it is most common among kids (age 2 to 10) and adults (age 50 to 80).
Causes of Bloody Nose
- Dry air
- Exposure to chemical irritants.
- An injury to the nose
- Repeated sneezing
- Allergic reactions
- Frequent nose blowing
- High altitudes
- Hard scratching of the nose.
- Excessive heat
- Picking the nose
- Excessive smoking
- Alcohol abuse
- Taking large doses of aspirin.
- Hormonal changes during pregnancy.
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Upper respiratory infections
- Blood clotting disorders
- High blood pressure
Symptoms of Bloody Nose
Though nosebleed are scary, but it is not a serious problem. You can easily handle the problem with the help of some easy and simple home remedies. Below are some remedies which you can try to stop a bloody nose.
Home Remedies to Stop a Bloody Nose:
1.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Stop a Bloody Nose
Apple cider vinegar or ACV is quite effective in stopping a nosebleed fast and naturally. ACV helps protect your body from excessive blood loss. It also helps in sealing up the broken blood vessel wall.
- Dip a small cotton ball in ACV and keep it lightly into your nostril.
- Keep it in there for at least 10 minutes. Bleeding should stop by then.
- Instead of ACV, you can also use distilled white vinegar in the same way.
- Apple cider vinegar is also very useful in preventing frequent nosebleed.
- Just mix 2 tsp of raw, unfiltered ACV in a glass of warm water.
- Drink it 3 times a day for at least a month.
2.) Saline Water to Stop a Bloody Nose
One of the most common causes of bloody nose is Dryness inside your nasal membranes during the winter season. To cure this problem, you can soothe and moisturize your irritated nasal membranes with saline water.
- Take a pinch of salt and add it to ½ cup of water and stir well.
- Pour a few drops of this solution into the nose to moisten the inner lining of your nasal passages.
- Optionally, you can also pour a few drops of saline nasal spray available in the shops.
- Follow either of these remedies 2-3 times daily during the winter in cold and dry climates.
3.) Nettle Leaves to Prevent Nose Bleeding
Nettle is one of the most effective remedies for bleeding nose. It has fine astringent qualities that promote clotting and prevent the blood flow. Plus, nettle helps strengthen capillaries and is very beneficial for treating allergies that are responsible for nose bleeding.
- To stop a bloody nose, inhale dry and powdered nettle leaves.
- You can also put a few drops of nettle leaves in each nostril.
- Simply extract the juice of a few nettle leaves to do this method.
- Soon the bleeding will stop.
- If you are prone to bleeding nose during the dry months, drink 1 or 2 cups of nettle tea every day.
4.) Cold Compress to Stop a Bloody Nose
A cold compress is another very common remedy to stop bleeding. In winters, the cold temperature makes the blood vessels constrict faster and slows down the flow of blood flow. You can easily prevent this action with the help of this remedy.
- Take a few ice cubes and wrap them in a thin towel.
- Sit on a chair in an upright position and tilt your head back.
- Apply the ice wrap across the bridge of your nose for 5-10 minutes.
- Repeat the process as needed.
Note: Never apply ice directly on your nose.
5.) Basil to Prevent a Bloody Nose
Basil is a very popular natural remedy in Ayurveda. Basil leaves are known to have many wonderful properties which help soothe the nerves of a person suffering from a bloody nose.
- Simply chew some fresh basil leaves thoroughly.
- This will help in calming your body. This will stop your nose bleeding soon.
- Alternatively, extract the juice of a few basil leaves.
- Pour 2 drops of this juice in each nostril.
- This will help stop bleeding fast.
6.) Cayenne to Prevent a Bloody Nose
Cayenne is another very effective home remedy to stop a bloody nose. Cayenne works as a cell stimulant, Also it helps regulate the pressure of the blood flow. This means cayenne helps in removing the heavy pressure from the hemorrhaging area and allows a rapid coagulation.
- For this just add 1 tsp of cayenne powder in 1 cup of warm water and drink it. Nosebleed will stop soon.
- Those who are suffering from frequent nose bleeding can take cayenne capsules 3 times daily. You can consult a doctor for the exact dosage suitable for you.
- Plus, add cayenne pepper in your daily diet.
7.) Pinch the Nose to Stop a Nose Bleed
One of the easiest ways to stop a bloody nose is using the old method i.e. pinch cure. Pinching the nose, sends pressure to the bleeding point in your nasal septum, that helps stop the flow of blood quickly.
- Just sit up straight with your head tilted slightly in front.
- Pinch the soft part of your nose below the bony bridge using your thumb and index finger.
- Do this for about 5-10 minutes. Breathe through your mouth during this time.
- Later, release the pressure gently and quietly sit for 5 minutes.
- Repeat as required until the bleeding stops.
Note: Avoid lying flat, tilting your head back or putting your head between your legs. Plus, avoid blowing your nose.
8.) Petroleum Jelly to Stop a Bleeding
If you suffer nosebleed during dry months, it is necessary to keep the inside part of your nostrils moist. You can do this easily using petroleum jelly. Petroleum jelly is quite viscous and highly moisturizing. It will not irritate your nasal passages.
- Take a small amount of petroleum jelly and put it on your finger and also apply it to the inside of your nose carefully.
- Repeat this several times in a day to keep your nose moist.
Note: Do not use too much petroleum jelly at a time to prevent the chances of it being inhaled and swallowed.
9.) Onion to Stop a Bloody Nose
Onion is an excellent clotting agent, thus it is quite effective in stopping your nose bleeding. The natural fumes of the onion helps in clotting the blood. Here is the method
- Take 1 onion and cut into thick slices.
- Keep 1 slice under your nose and inhale the fumes. The bleeding should stop within minutes.
- Repeat as needed.
10.) Coriander to Prevent Nosebleed
Coriander is one of the highly recommended remedies to stop nosebleed. It has fine soothing and cooling nature which helps stop bleeding within a short period of time. Also, it is a natural antihistamine, as it helps ward off several allergies that are responsible for causing nosebleed.
- Pour a few drops of coriander oil or fresh coriander juice into the inner nose lining. You may soon notice the bleeding has stopped.
- Optionally, you can also make a paste of coriander leaves.
- Apply it on your forehead.
- The cooling effect of coriander will help stop nose bleeding naturally and quickly.