In this article, we are discussing several home remedies for swollen ankles. Foot, ankle and leg swelling is also named as peripheral edema. This refers to a buildup of fluid in the lower parts of the body. The buildup of fluid is not generally painful unless it is due to any damage. Swelling is often more evident in the lower area of the body because of gravity.
Older people often experience this type of swelling. While it usually does not have any significant health risk, it is vital that you know the symptoms well in order to treat this problem at the right time. Because sometimes swelling may show a more serious underlying health issue.
As swelling starts increasing, it can cause discomfort and you may find difficulty while walking or standing. Other symptoms may include pain, redness, and inflammation in the feet. You can also read this related article Home remedies for edema treatment naturally on our website.
- Being overweight
- Standing for long periods of time
- Taking testosterone or estrogen
- Taking some antidepressants
- Blood pressure medications
Home Remedies for Swollen Ankles Problem:
1.) Contrast Hydrotherapy to Treat Swollen Ankles
This is one of the best home remedies to treat swollen ankles. This type of hydrotherapy includes both cold and warm water. It is highly efficient for reducing swelling in your ankles or feet. While the warm water helps encourage the blood circulation, cold water helps reduce inflammation and swelling. To use this remedy, try the steps given below:
- Take two tubs and fill it one with warm water and another with cold water.
- Soak your feet in the lukewarm water for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Right after putting your feet in warm water put your feet in cold water for about 1 minute.
- Continue repeating this process for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Repeat this method for a few times daily until you get relief.
2.) Ginger to Cure Swollen Ankles
Ginger is a natural diuretic that works great for treating swollen ankles. It helps thin sodium, a major cause behind the swelling. In addition, it also consists of anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce swelling. To try this method, try the steps given below:
- Ge some ginger oil or make a paste by grinding some ginger.
- Massage on the affected area with ginger oil.
- Repeat this remedy when massaging a few times daily.
- You can also make ginger tea and drink it 2-3 times a day.
3.) Epsom Salt to Get Rid of Swollen Ankles
Epsom salt works faster to reduce swelling and can help ease pain and discomfort, too. Epsom salt consists of magnesium sulfate that easily gets absorbed by the skin and thus helps improve blood circulation and reduce swelling. It also helps soothe sore, tired muscles and even helps control foot odor. To try this remedy, try the steps given below:
- Take ½ cup of Epsom salt and mix it in a foot tub filled with lukewarm water.
- Soak your swollen feet and ankles in it for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Repeat this process 3 times in a week.
4.) Massage to Reduce Swollen Ankles
A foot massage is one of the best remedies for swollen feet and ankles. It puts pressure on the affected area that helps calm down the sore muscles and improve blood circulation. It also promotes excess fluid drainage to lessen swelling. To try this method, try the given below steps:
- Take some mustard oil and warm it a bit.
- Now, gently massage on the affected area for 5-10 mins.
- Make sure you massage in an upward direction, instead of downward.
- Don’t apply too much pressure.
- Do this process several times a day daily.
- It is most efficient to massage your feet during bath or after taking a bath.
5.) Dandelion to Treat Swollen Ankles
Dandelion also consists of diuretic property that helps the body metabolize extra fluids, thus making it a great remedy for swollen ankles. It also helps treat water retention in the body. It also helps control the sodium level in the body. To try this method, follow the steps given below:
- Take 1 tsp of fresh or dried dandelion leaves and boil it for 5 mins.
- Now, strain the water and let it steep for another 5 mins.
- Drink this herbal tea 2 or 3 times a day.
6.) Coriander Seeds to Reduce Swollen Ankles
This is one of the well-known treatment for swollen ankles and feet. It consists of anti-inflammatory property that helps reduce swelling as well as enhance blood circulation. To try this method, follow the steps below:
- Take some seeds of coriander and boil it until it reduces by half.
- Strain the solution, let it cool a little and drink it.
- You can also add some amount of honey for additional benefits and to sweeten it.
- Repeat this process 2 times a day until you see some improvements.
7.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Swollen Ankles
Apple cider vinegar is another beneficial home remedy to reduce swelling in your feet. It is high in potassium content that helps diminish fluid retention, a common cause of swelling. To try this method, follow the steps given below:
- Take some warm water and add raw or unfiltered apple cider vinegar equal to the water.
- Dip a towel in this solution, squeeze out the excess liquid and then wrap the towel around the affected area.
- Do this process for 10 minutes, 2 times daily.
8.) Lemon Water to Prevent Swollen Ankles
Drinking lemon water helps remove excess fluid and toxins from your body. It also helps reduce swelling in the feet and other parts of the body caused due to water retention. Moreover, it helps keep the body hydrated and gives you anti-inflammatory benefits. To try this remedy, follow the steps given below:
- Mix 2 tsp of lemon juice in a cup of lukewarm water.
- Add a tsp of raw honey to sweeten it and for added benefits.
- Drink this lemon water 2-3 times daily.
9.) Eat Magnesium Rich Foods to Cure Swollen Ankles
Magnesium deficiency in the body is also a great factor of swelling in the ankles and feet due to edema.
- Try to include foods rich in magnesium in your daily diet to help fight this problem.
- Eat magnesium-rich foods like nuts, dark leafy greens seeds, fish, avocado, soybeans, bananas and dark chocolate.
10.) Exercise to Get Rid of Swollen Ankles
Daily physical exercise is essential for preventing swelling in your feet and ankles. Exercise helps encourage blood circulation and prevents blood build up in the lower parts of your body.
- Swimming is one of the great exercises to reduce ankle swelling and relieve pain and inflammation.
- Walking 30 mins in the morning and evening every day can also help reduce the swelling.
- Do some leg exercises.
- Practice yoga steps daily to help improve your circulation.