How to Stop a Nosebleed?
Most of the people experience nose bleeding problem which is very common during the winter. Getting a nosebleed can be embarrassing and scary. Some people can handle this problem without any treatment while some needs treatment in severe condition. Nosebleed is also known as Epistaxes. The inner nose is a very sensitive part of the body and it is full of tiny blood vessels. When these blood vessels get disturbed then blood starts flowing from nostril and sometimes it flows from both nostrils. The nose bleeding can be heavy or light and it may last from a few seconds to more than ten minutes. Anyone can get a nosebleed, but it is most common among children ages 2-10 years and adult ages 50-80 years. Nosebleed should be treated on time. In this article, you will get to know about some treatment that will help you to stop a nosebleed.
A nosebleed can occur due to numerous reasons such as dry air, exposure to chemical irritants, an injury to the nose, nose blowing, allergic reactions, high altitudes, repeated sneezing, excessive heat, alcohol abuse, hard scratching, excessive smoking and taking excessive aspirin. A nosebleed can also occur due to hormonal changes during pregnancy, nutritional deficiencies, cancer, blood clotting disorders, upper respiratory infections and high blood pressure. Due to nose bleeding, you will feel weakness, dizziness, fainting and confusion.
Symptoms of Nosebleed:
- Bleeding from nostrils
- Urge to swallow frequently
Causes of Nosebleed:
- Dry air, which dries out the blood vessels.
- Nose blowing
- Excessive smoking and alcohol
- Repeated sneezing
- Exposure to chemical irritants
- An injury to the nose
- Allergic reactions
- Excessive heat
How Long Does Nosebleed Last?
A nosebleed may last for a few minutes or more than ten minutes. You can have repeated episodes of nosebleed over a short period of time.
Best Remedies to Stop a Nosebleed:
1.) Cold Compress to Treat a Nosebleed Fast
Using cold compress is the best home remedy to stop a nose bleeding. The cold temperature helps to constrict the blood vessels faster and slow down the blood flow. This method will stop the nose bleeding within a few minutes.
Steps to Use a Cold Compress for Nose Bleeding Treatment:
- Take some ice cubes and then wrap it in a thin towel.
- Sit straight and tilt your head back.
- Apply this ice pack over the bridge of your nose for ten minutes.
- Repeat this method as much as needed.
2.) Saline Water to Get Rid of a Nosebleed Fast and Naturally
Dryness of the nasal membranes is the most common cause of nosebleed. Use saline water to soothe and moisturize irritated nasal membranes.
Steps to Use Saline Water to Treat a Nosebleed Overnight:
- Take half cup of water and add a pinch of salt to it.
- Now put some drops of this solution into your nose to moisten the inner lining of the nasal membranes.
- You can also put a few drops of saline nasal spray into your nose, which is available in the market.
3.) Pinch the Nose to Prevent Nosebleed
Pinching the nose is one of the easiest ways to stop a nosebleed. Pinching the nose will send pressure to the bleeding point in the nasal septum and it will help to stop the blood flow quickly.
Steps to Pinch the Nose to Cure Nosebleed Fast:
- Sit straight and tilt your head slightly forward.
- Pinch the soft part of your nose with the help of your index finger and thumb.
- Do this method for 5 to 10 minutes. Breathe through the mouth during this time.
- Now release the pressure and sit quietly for five minutes.
- Repeat this method until the bleeding stops.
4.) Onion to Treat a Nosebleed Fast
Onion is one of the best home remedies for treating a nosebleed. Onion is very effective clotting agent which is very effective in stopping nose bleeding. The natural fumes of the onion help to clot the blood.
Steps to Use Onion for Nosebleed Treatment:
- Take an onion and cut it into thick slices.
- Place 1 slice of onion under your nose and inhale the fumes of onion.
- The bleeding will stop within a few minutes.
- Another method is to pour 2 to 3 drops of onion juice in each nostril.
- Follow this remedy as needed to stop the bleeding.
5.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Stop a Nosebleed Fast and Naturally
Apple cider vinegar is highly effective in stopping a nosebleed fast. It protects your body from excessive blood loss and also helps to seal up the broken blood vessel wall.
Steps to Use Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat a Nosebleed:
- Take some apple cider vinegar and soak a cotton swab in it.
- Place this cotton swab lightly into the nostril.
- Leave it for ten minutes and you will see that the bleeding stops.
- You can also apply distilled white vinegar instead of using apple cider vinegar.
- Another method to stop frequent nosebleed. Take 2 tsp of raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar in a glass of warm water and then drink it thrice a day.
6.) Cayenne to Get Rid of a Nosebleed Fast
Cayenne is another effective home remedy for stopping the nosebleed. Cayenne works great as a cell stimulant and regulates the pressure of the blood flow.
Steps to Use Cayenne to Get Relief from a Nosebleed:
- Warm a cup of water and add 1 tsp of cayenne pepper to it. Then drink this solution and it will stop the nosebleed soon.
- Those having frequent nose bleeding can take cayenne supplements 3 times a day.
- You can also eat foods spiced with cayenne pepper regularly.
7.) Coriander to Stop a Nosebleed Naturally and Fast
Coriander is a highly recommended home remedy for curing nosebleed. The soothing and cooling nature of coriander help to stop bleeding within a short period of time. It also works as a natural antihistamine which helps to treat many allergies that causing nosebleed.
Steps to Use Coriander to Cure a Nosebleed Naturally:
- Put a few drops of fresh coriander juice or coriander oil into the inner nose and soon the bleeding will stop.
- You can also make a paste of coriander leaves and then apply it on your forehead. The cooling effect of the coriander will stop the bleeding very fast.
8.) Nettle to Treat a Nosebleed Fast
Nettle is the most effective home remedy for treating a nosebleed. Due to having astringent properties in nettle helps to promote nettle and promote the blood flow. It also helps to strengthen capillaries and it is beneficial for treating allergies that causing nose bleeding.
Steps to Use Nettle to Get Relief from a Nosebleed:
- Simply inhale powdered and dry nettle leaves to stop a nosebleed.
- Another method is to extract the juice from a handful of nettle leaves and put a few drops of it in each nostril.
- If you are suffering from nosebleed frequently then you can drink 1 to 2 cups of nettle tea in a day.
9.) Basil to Stop a Nosebleed Naturally
Basil is the best herbal home remedy for treating a nosebleed. Basil leaves have several wonderful properties that will help to soothe the nerves of a person which is suffering from a nosebleed.
Steps to Use Basil to Get Rid of Nosebleed Fast:
- Chew some basil leaves properly. This will help to calm the body and the bleeding will stop quickly.
- Another method is to extract the juice from some basil leaves and put two drops of it in each nostril. This method will stop the bleeding fast.
10.) Get rid of Nosebleed with Petroleum Jelly
It is essential to keep the insides of the nostrils moist to prevent nosebleed during dry months. Petroleum jelly is helpful to do this. Petroleum jelly is highly moisturizing and will not irritate the nasal passages.
Steps to Use Petroleum Jelly to Treat a Nosebleed Fast:
- Apply some petroleum jelly inside your nose with the help of your finger.
- Do this method many times a day to keep your nose moist.