How to Get Rid of Fleas? – Natural Home Remedies
In this article, we are discussing about fleas and ways to get rid of fleas with the help of natural remedies. Fleas are wingless, weird insects and can give you sleepless nights. They love to be on warm vertebrates and thus your dogs, cats, rabbits. There is one more reason for their great presence in your house is that the eggs of fleas can get fall anywhere in your house. These eggs, then transform into larvae and lastly intofleas. The most irritating thing is that the flea egg can rest in your house for over a year. Even after proper treatment you can find them again, and again. So in order to get rid of fleas, you need to keep a regular watch and clean your house frequently toprevent fleas. We have listed some effective home remedies to kill the fleas and learn how to control their occurrence. Read this related article How to get rid of fleas on dogs and in house? on our website.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Fleas:
1.) Flea Trap Remedy to Get Rid of Fleas From Your Dog
This is one of the easiest ways to control and kill the ugly fleas. If you want to get rid of fleas, try this flea trap. This is also effective if you give a bath to your dog, cat or rabbit with this liquid, you’ll be able to eradicate the fleas on their body too. However, a flea trap will allow you to clean up your entire house of fleas.
- Dishwashing liquid
- 1 bowls
- Warm water
- At night, place a bowl in each of your rooms, particularly in the center of your room on the floor.
- Now fill a bowl with warm water. Fill it half.
- Now put a few drops of dish-washing liquid to in the bowl filled with water.
- Place one tea candle near the each bowl.
- Now lit up the candles.
Now, the fleas will get attracted towards light. When they fly towards the light, they will get caught in the high thickness of the liquid with soap. This way, fleas will get fascinated and die. If your house is poorly infected with fleas, you may repeat this remedy for 3-4 nights.
2.) Herbal Flea Spray to Get Rid of Fleas Fast
If you have been thinking of a flea blast loaded with chemicals to eradicate fleas from your house. Try this remedy once and give it a try to herbal spray. This homemade flea spray includes ingredients as witch hazel and lemon juice. They are completely safe for your kids and pets. Here’s the method for this herbal flea spray.
- Vinegar- 4 liters
- Water- 2 liters
- Lemon juice- 500 ml
- Witch hazel- 250 ml
- Fresh vacuum bag- 1
- Home and Garden Sprayer- 1 7L
- First do some vacuum and spray the solution.
- Wash the things which cannot be vacuumed and wash them in hot water. This will help kill larvae and remove eggs of fleas.
- Now mix water, vinegar, lemon juice and witch hazel.
- Fill this liquid into the garden sprayer.
- Spray your carpets, pet bedding, furniture, floors, window sills, every nook and corner of your house.
- Spray this mix for at least 2-7 days depending upon how badly your home is infected.
- When fleas become less visible, you may then repeat it again 3-4 days and afterward once a week all through the flea season.
3.) Salt Remedy to Get Rid of Fleas From Your House
Salt is a great remedy to get rid of fleas, especially from your carpets. Salt consists of dehydration properties, which makes the flea’s body dry out. This is one of the cheapest ways to control fleas. Follow the steps below:
- Table salt or any of the sea salts (Quantity depending on the area)
- Big spice bottle with a shaker top
- Take some fine salt powder.
- Fill your spice bottle with this salt, leaving a little space on the top so that you can shake and sprinkle the salt well.
- Sprinkle the salt on your carpets in each room. The salt should cover up the area equally.
- Leave for 10 to 48 hours.
- After 2-3 days, vacuum your carpets properly.
4.) Boric Acid Remedy to Get Rid of Fleas From Your Carpet
Boric acid just works as of salt, when it comes to kill fleas. It acts as a dehydrating agent which leads to dehydration in fleas which further kills them. You need to spray boric acid, wherever you doubt about fleas, their eggs or larvae.
- Boric acid
- A shaker
- Fill the bottle or shaker with boric acid. Label it with dark bold letters “BORIC ACID”. Because anyone can take boric acid in the name of salt. So, label it as ‘BORIC ACID’ before using it.
- Vacuum the upholstery, carpets, etc. where you want to put boric acid and remove all the objects from around like bags, shoes, toys, etc.
- Spray the boric acid powder in thin and small layers. Shake the bottle a little powder on your carpet and the area you find more infested with the fleas. Keep in mind, that boric acid can fade out your fabrics. So, test it properly before you apply this remedy. Make sure you sprinkle it below the furniture also.
- Leave this powder for 12-48 hours.
- Now, vacuum all the areas, furniture treated with boric acid.
- Keep a regular check on your house and do the vacuuming regularly.
- After a month or so, you can wash your upholstery, carpets, etc.
5.) Use Diatomaceous Earth to Get Rid of Fleas Fast
This is one of the best treatment to get rid of fleas fast. Diatomaceous earth is a microscopic leftover of fossilized algae known as a diatom. It is a very fine powder, just like flour. Diatoms are the kind of algae you will find in freshwater as well as in saltwater.
Below are a few steps that you should follow to use Diatomaceous earth to get rid of fleas.
- Clean all your carpets and vacuum properly. Wash off things that you can’t vacuum, with hot water.
- Now, wherever you are doubtful of the fleas or their larvae, sprinkle some DE in thin layers. It is safe to sprinkle DE on your carpets, pet bedding, etc.
- Leave the Diatomaceous earth in these areas for about 12-48 hours.
- After 4-6 hours you will see fleas dying. Leave this DE for a longer period of time like for 5-6 days.
- Now, clean away all the powder and remember to throw away the vacuum bag.
- You may even use this Diatomaceous earth in your backyard or garden but you will need DE in large quantity.7