How to use natural remedies to get rid of cold sores? Cold sores are small blisters, which generally appear on the lips or on the lower region of the face. These blisters are often filled with fluid and are pretty painful. They sometimes appear singular, and at other times in clusters. Cold sores are caused by herpes virus and have a very unaesthetic look. When the sores break, they form a thin crust over the lips. It is always a good idea to apply Vaseline over the sores, so that the sores, does not become, too much dried and patchy. The Herpes virus is transmitted genetically in people and they tend to remain dormant in many people, Fever or excessive exposure to the ultra – violet rays of the sun, is often regarded as a trigger for cold sores.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Cold Sores:
There are various medicines available in the market, that can provide relief form the pain of cold sores. Most of the times, medicines taken to reduce fever, is enough to cure the pain. However, if you are looking for safer and more natural way to cure your cold sore, here is a list.
1.) Licorice Root Powder to Get Rid of Cold Sores
Licorice root powder is rich is Glycyrrhizin acid, which is a powerful anti inflammatory agent. It helps to clear the virus and reduce the soreness in the lips. You can use this powder with water or mix it with petroleum jelly, which will likely provide faster relief.
- Take spoonful of licorice root powder.
- Mix the powder with a few drops of water to form a paste.
- You can also mix the powder, with a teaspoon of petroleum jelly.
- Apply this paste on your sores and leave it overnight. It will clean your lips and provide relief from the pain.
2.) Vanilla to Get Rid of Cold Sores
Pure vanilla extract is an excellent anti- viral ingredient. Since it is made from the alcohol base, it makes it extremely difficult for virus and germs to thrive in it. The process of application is also very simple and requires no extra effort. Make sure you use pure vanilla extract, while performing the task.
- Take a cotton swab.
- Dip it into pure vanilla extract.
- Apply it on your cold sore.
- Leave it for a few hours.
- Repeat the process, for a few days a couple of times in a day, to get complete relief.
3.) Milk to Get Rid of Cold Sores
Milk in itself has a very good soothing property, which is essential for relieving the pain. In addition, it also contains a substance known as immunoglobulin’s, which produces powerful antibodies, which can fight the ugly virus, which leads to cold sores. L-lysine is another compound, which is present in milk, prevents it outbreak. So milk is important in both curing, as well as in preventing the outbreak of the herpes virus.
- Take a cup of whole milk.
- Dip a cotton ball in the milk.
- Apply the milk on your cold sores.
- Hold the piece of cotton in your cold sores.
- Repeat the process a few times.
4.) Mint Oil to Get Rid of Cold Sores
Mint oil is antibacterial oil, which can help to provide relief from the cold sores. It fights the germs, but its main role is to prevent its re-occurrence.
- Take a glass of water and lightly wash your cold sores, to get rid of the gunk.
- Dilute the mint oil, by adding a few drops of water in it.
- The direct application of raw oil, might cause your sores to burn.
- Dip the cotton ball in the diluted mint oil and apply it on your cold sores.
- Hold the cotton on your sores, for a few minutes.
- Repeat the process twice a day to get quick relief from cold sores.
5.) Echinacea Tea to Get Rid of Cold Sores
Echinacea tea is very helpful is making our immune system strong and helps to fight any kind of virus attack. Viruses can only attack the body, when it becomes weak and vulnerable. Echinacea tea also helps to prevent the outbreak of cold sores.
- Boil a cup of water.
- Turn off the heat and add an Echinacea tea bag into it.
- Cover the pot and allow the tea to seep for a few minutes.
- Drink the tea a couple times in a day and you will experience significant relief from the pain.
6.) Cornstarch to Get Rid of Cold Sores
Cornstarch has a unique alkaline property and it helps to restore the pH balance of the skin. The virus usually thrives in an environment, where, the acid concentration is high. Since cornstarch is alkaline it nature, it will help to kill the virus and reduce the pain.
- Take a spoonful of cornstarch.
- Add a few drops of water to it and make a paste.
- Apply the paste on your cold sore, with your fingers or a cotton swab.
- Leave it on your lips, till it dries.
- Wash it off, with clean water.
7.) Witch Hazel to Get Rid of Cold Sores
It is a Native American plant, which is now available on a commercial basis. The plant is particularly very helpful, in treating skin related ailments.
- Buy a bottle of witch hazel.
- Dip a cotton swab in the solution and apply it on your cold sores.
- It might itch a bit in the beginning, but after a few moments, you will begin to experience the soothing effect.
8.) Ice and Alcohol to Get Rid of Cold Sores
- Take a cotton ball and dip it on pure alcohol.
- Hold the cotton on your sores, for a few minutes.
- Place some ice cubes in an airtight plastic bag.
- Remove the cotton ball and place the ice pack on your lips.
- Repeat the process, alternating with the cotton ball and ice pack.
- This process will kill the virus and the ice will provide a cooling effect to the sore lips.
9.) Salt, Milk and Lemon Juice to Get Rid of Cold Sores
- Take a few spoons of milk in a bowl.
- Add a few drops of lemon juice in the milk along with a pinch of salt.
- Soak up the entire liquid in a cotton ball.
- Apply the liquid lightly on your cold sores.
- This s treatment is very simple and will help to kill the germs and prevent the virus from re-emerging.
10.) Tea Bags to Get Rid of Cold Sores
- Simple tea bags can go a long way in treating a painful cold sore.
- Boil a cup of water.
- Add a tea bag in that water.
- Turn off the heat.
- Remove the bag and allow it to cool.
- Once it has reached a bearable temperature, Apply the tea bag on your cold sore.
- Repeat this process a few times to get total relief from cold sores.
Other Useful Tips to Avoid Cold Sores:
- Stress- Avoid stress- stress is a big trigger which can lead to cold sores. Stress makes your immune system weak and vulnerable to the virus attack. If you want to avoid cold sores, make sure, you get a sufficient amount of sleep and take enough rest, where your immune system is able to fight the problem of cold sores.
- Avoid cold weather- As the name suggests cold sores, tends to thrive in cold weather conditions, keep yourself warm and take necessary protection, to ensure you don’t expose your system, to dry air, which can help the herpes virus to become active.
- Avoid too much sun- Like extreme winter, too much exposure to the sun, can also lead to cold sores. The UV rays of the sun are very dangerous for the skin and can help the virus to become active. Always carry hats, umbrella and shades, when you go out. Protect your lips by applying sunscreen on them. Lips are one of the tenderest areas of the skin and UV rays can cause significant harm to it, if left exposed to long periods of time.
- Keep clean- Like many virus attacks, people suffering from cold sores, have to ensure, that the virus, causing the cold sores, does not return back. So try to discard everything that you might be using before or during the attack on your lips. Things like lipstick, lip balms, toothbrush, should be discarded, so the virus doesn’t return.
- Avoid touching- Don’t touch your sores, constantly. It will make them more irritated. In case you do touch, wash your hands immediately. Avoid touching your eyes or other susceptible area with those hands. It will only make your problem worse.
- Avoid foods that are high in arginine or are acidic in nature- Avoid chocolates and acidic foods like tomatoes and citrus fruits. Both of them helps to serve as a building block on which the herpes virus can thrive comfortably.
- Apply ice- Subzero temperatures, tends to kill viruses. So apply ice frequently on your cold sores. It will help to reduce the pain and kill the virus and prevent them from coming back.