How to use home remedies to get rid of a cold fast? Cold or as it is usually known as common cold, is one of the most widely occurring viral attack, which affects almost every human being once in a year. The disease is very contagious, and can get spread easily. The reason behind the occurrence of cold is various. It is usually caused by seasonal changes in water, exposure to extreme weather conditions, allergic reactions to dust or pollen. Sometimes excessive stress and fatigue has also resulted in common cold attacks.
The symptoms of cold are headache, nausea, high temperature, runny nose, body ache or joint pain. Al these symptoms are a result of a weakened immune system and the energy wasted by the body to fight the virus. Common cold is not a serious illness and can be cured by simple home remedies. Sometimes it even gets cured naturally by maintaining a proper hygiene.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of a Cold Fast:
1.) Pepper to Get Rid of a Cold Fast
Pepper is one of the most easily available ingredient, which can be used to treat the problem of common cold. The cayenne present in pepper, helps to clear the congestion in the throat.
- Use pepper powder in your food, like salads, soups or any other meal.
- Add a pinch of freshly grounded pepper in a glass of warm water and use it to gargle, twice a day.
- If you can afford to eat or gargle pepper, then take some grounded pepper and tie it to a fresh wash cloth or handkerchief.
- Smell the pepper, throughout the day to get rid of of a runny nose and throat congestion.
2.) Red Onion Syrup to Get Rid of a Cold Fast
- Take a few red onion and slice them horizontally into thin slices.
- Take a bowl and place a red onion slice at the bottom of the bowl.
- Add a teaspoon of honey over the onion.
- Again place a Red onion slice and cover it with honey.
- Repeat the process until the bowl is filled up.
- Cover the bowl and leave it undisturbed for at least 12 hours.
- After 12 hours a thick syrup like liquid, will be visible at the bottom of the bowl.
- Drink two spoonful of this syrup twice a day to get rid of cold.
3.) Spice Tea to Get Rid of a Cold Fast
This tea has the goodness of various seeds and herbs which can help the immune system, to become strong and give it strength to fight the virus.
- Take half a cup of cumin, fennel, coriander and fenugreek seeds each.
- Grind them together to obtain a powder.
- Measure one teaspoon of this powder and add it to a cup of boiling water.
- Lower the heat and add a piece of rock candy.
- Allow the mixture to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add two teaspoons of milk to the tea and turn off the heat.
- Strain the tea and drink it, till you feel good.
4.) Chicken Soup to Get Rid of a Cold Fast
- Chicken soup has been used since times immemorial, to treat common cold symptoms.
- The antioxidants present in the soup, helps the body to gain strength, so that it can fight the virus. It also helps to stabilize the immune system and restore our general health.
- Take a pan and add two cups of water.
- Add a few pieces of shredded chicken to the water and allow it to boil.
- After 10 minutes, strain the water and keep it aside.
- Add a teaspoon of butter in the pain and add different types of fresh chopped vegetables of your choice.
- Toss the ingredients together and once they are lightly fried, add the chicken stock.
- Add salt, pepper and other spices according to your wish.
- Drink this soup, once it has cooled down slightly.
5.) Ginger to Get Rid of a Cold Fast
Ginger is an active ingredient, which can be used to fight common cold in numerous ways. It can be eaten raw, made into a tea or added into any meal.
- The best way to use ginger is to eat it raw.
- Make ginger tea by boiling a few pieces of ginger in water for several minutes.
- For added benefit add one teaspoon of honey and lemon juice to the tea.
- You can also make a paste by combining, one teaspoon of grated ginger, with a teaspoon of clove and one teaspoon of salt. Make a paste from all these three ingredients and eat it twice in a day for complete relief.
- Ginger is also useful in treating a runny nose problem. Add one tablespoon of ginger powder, with one tablespoon of clarified butter and one teaspoon of jiggery and make a paste.
- Consume this paste every day, twice to get complete relief, from cold symptoms.
6.) Honey to Get Rid of a Cold Fast
- Honey is a great antibacterial and viral agent. It helps the body to fight any kind of virus.
- The easiest way of introducing honey, into our system, is by taking one teaspoon of raw honey directly.
- Alternatively, you can add one teaspoon of raw honey, to one teaspoon of lemon juice and combine them both in a glass of water. Drinking this mixture on a daily basis, will provide great relief from common cold.
7.) Garlic to Get Rid of a Cold Fast
Garlic is a powerful food and will help to boost the immune system. The antiviral properties of garlic, helps to lower the toxins and free radicals present in our system, which is often regarded as a main reason behind common flu attacks.
- Boil a few cloves of garlic in a cup of water.
- Strain the liquid and add a teaspoon of honey to it.
- Drink the solution.
- Make a paste by combining one teaspoon of lemon juice, one teaspoon of honey and cayenne pepper, with one tablespoon of crushed garlic cloves.
- Combine the ingredients and eat them once every day.
- You can also consume raw garlic, or add garlic to your daily meals.
8.) Cinnamon to Get Rid of a Cold Fast
- Take a spoonful of cinnamon powder and a handful of cloves.
- Add this powder to a glass of boiling water and allow them to simmer for a few minutes.
- After a few minutes, turn off the heat and strain the liquid.
- Consume the liquid, with one teaspoon of honey.
9.) Milk to Get Rid of a Cold Fast
- Warm milk helps to fight the antibodies, in our system and provides relief from body aches.
- Take a glass of milk and boil it.
- Add one teaspoon of turmeric powder and half teaspoon of freshly grated ginger juice or powder in it.
- Combine the three ingredients and allow the milk to cool.
- Drink the milk, to get relief from different kind of common cold symptoms.
10.) Basil and Ginger to Get Rid of a Cold Fast
This a age old ayurvedic remedy, used to treat cold in India. Basil leaves are a storehouse of powerful antiviral agents and is known to treat virus well.
- Cut a few Julian’s of ginger and mix them with a teaspoon of honey.
- Add a few Tulsi leaves to the mixture and have it several times in a day to get relief from common cold.
Other Lifestyle Related Tips to Get Rid of Common Cold:
- Drink Water to Get Rid of a Cold- drink plenty of water-at least 8-9 glasses during your common cold attack. It will help to keep the throat moist and provide sufficient relief from common cold. Drinking water will ensure you don’t get dehydrated.
- Steam to Get Rid of a Cold- Boil some water in a pot and use a towel, to inhale steam. It will help to clear the congestion in your throat. Make sure you take enough precaution, so that, you don’t end up, burning your face. Using a humidifier, will also serve the same purpose.
- Saline Spray to Get Rid of a Cold- Use a solution made out of one teaspoon of salt and baking soda to keep your nose irrigated. Using a store bought saline spray, will also help your nose to stay clear of any congestion.
- Take Rest to Get Rid of a Cold- Taking enough rest is vital to fight the virus. Rest will ensure the body conserves enough energy to fight the virus. It helps the immune system, to work to its maximum capacity.
- Drink Hot Beverages to Get Rid of a Cold- drinking hot beverages, will ensure, your body stays clear of any type of congestion. This remedy should be used in moderation, as excessive intake of hot beverages, may heat up the body too much and disturb the sleeping pattern. Add a spoonful of honey to your beverages to experience better relief.
- Gargle to Get Rid of a Cold- If you have a blocked nose or a tonsil problem, as a result of cold. Gargling with salt water is the best known method for clearing a sore throat. Add a spoonful of salt to your water to kill the virus. In case you don’t have warm salt water handy, you can use a mouthwash, which will provide similar benefits.
- Sleep With an Extra Pillow- Sleep with an extra pillow below your head, so that the nasal congestion does not flow back into the nose. If the position is uncomfortable, use side pillows, to ensure the angle of your body is always slanting in a downward position.
- Maintain Precaution to Get Rid of a Cold- Common cold is very contagious- does not go out if you are suffering from the disease. You might end up spreading it. Maintain distance from people who are suffering from the same. Wash your hands before eating anything. Cover your mouth, before sneezing. Maintain some basic hygiene laws, to ensure you stay safe.