In this article we will suggest you some of the best home remedies to get rid of oily skin. There are many skin types which vary from person to person. Some have soft and smooth skin, some have dry skin or sensitive skin and then there are some with oily skin. Oily skin can be a real pain to deal with. However, there is one big benefit of oily skin. A person with oily skin tends to age better and develop less wrinkles than normal or dry skin. But, the accumulation of excess oil on the outer skin layer generally leads to blackheads, whiteheads, pimples and other skin problems.
Sometimes, the sebaceous glands present in our skin produces excess sebum which leads to the formation of excess oil on the skin. A person with such skin, usually has shiny skin and large skin pores.
Causes of Oily Skin:
- Taking too much stress.
- Hormonal changes due to puberty.
- Dietary choices
- Oily skin during menstrual cycles.
- Taking birth control pills.
Although oily skin is difficult to manage, but there are several things you can do to get rid of this common problem. You don’t need to use expensive and chemical-based skin care products to treat this problem. You can give a try to below listed simple home remedies that are equally effective to get rid of oily skin.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Oily Skin Fast and Naturally:
1.) Lemon Juice to Get Rid of Oily Skin
Lemon juice is an excellent source of citric acid, which make it works as a great astringent. It also contains antiseptic properties which can help lighten skin discolorations and restore the pH balance of your skin.
- Take 1 tsp of fresh lemon juice and 1 ½ tsp of distilled water. Stir well.
- Using a cotton ball, apply the solution on your skin.
- Allow it to get absorbed for 10 minutes.
- Then, rinse your face with warm water.
- Do this once daily.
Note: Lemon juice may dry your skin. So after application, apply some oil-free moisturizer.
2.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of Oily Skin Naturally
Apple cider vinegar or ACV is known to have fine antibacterial properties which are great for acne caused due to bacteria and oily skin. Plus, ACV is a rich source of Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHA) which help tone and moisturize your oily skin.
- You can use ACV to make a homemade toner.
- For this, dilute ¼ cup of ACV in ¾ cup of distilled water.
- Using a cotton ball, apply this mixture on your skin.
- Let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Later, wash it off with cool water.
- Repeat this process several times a week to see positive results.
3.) Aloe Vera to Treat Oily Skin at Home
Aloe Vera is another very effective ingredient to treat different skin ailments. Aloe Vera is known to have excellent antimicrobial qualities that make it an ideal remedy for treating acne-prone oily skin. Plus, Aloe Vera helps absorb excess oil from the skin’s surface.
- Simply take an Aloe Vera leaf and cut it in half.
- Extract the fresh gel from this leaf.
- Apply the extracted gel evenly on your face.
- Leave it on to dry.
- Afterwards, rinse your face with clean water.
- Repeat this process 2 to 3 times a day to prevent oily skin.
4.) Cucumbers to Treat Oily Skin at Home
Cucumber is another ingredient which is also quite beneficial for oily skin treatment. Cucumbers are known for their astringent, soothing, and cooling properties. Plus, it has a high amount of Vitamins and Minerals content. It contains Vitamins A and Vitamin E, Potassium and Magnesium, that are good for oily skin.
- Take a fresh organic cucumber and cut it into thick slices.
- Rub them thoroughly and evenly on your face.
- Let it sit overnight.
- Next morning, wash your face with warm water.
- Repeat this method daily before going to bed to prevent oil skin.
5.) Honey as a Home Remedy for Oily Skin Treatment
Honey is one of the best remedies for oily skin treatment. Honey helps lower excess oil formation on the skin’s surface. It helps clear pores and prevent wrinkles as well. It has excellent moisturizing qualities which nourish the skin and keep it moisturized without making it oily. Plus, honey has natural antiseptic properties that are highly beneficial for acne-prone oily skin.
- Simply take some raw honey and apply a thin layer on your face.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Later, rinse your face with water.
- Repeat this 2 times daily.
6.) Milk to Get Rid of Oily Skin
Milk is a wonderful oil-free cleanser. It can make your oily skin soft and supple naturally and fast. Like ACV, milk also has Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHA) which gently exfoliate the skin and also help in maintaining the skin’s natural pH balance.
- Add 2 or 3 drops of sandalwood or lavender essential oil in 2 tbsp of milk.
- Using a cotton ball, apply this mixture over your face.
- Now, massage your skin gently for a few minutes. Massaging will help to enhance blood circulation. Leave it on overnight.
- Next morning, rinse your face with cold water.
- Continue this daily.
7.) Apples to Get Rid of Oily Skin Naturally and Fast
Apples also work as a great exfoliating agent. Apple is known to have mild antiseptic, astringent, and soothing qualities which make it a powerful home remedy for oily skin treatment. Apple also has malic acid, which helps remove dead skin cells and absorbs excess oil from the surface of your skin.
- Simply grate an apple and keep the shreds on your skin.
- Wait for 15 minutes before washing your face with tepid water.
8.) Tomatoes Avoid Oily Skin Fast and Naturally
Tomatoes are very effective for oily skin treatment because of their clarifying, astringent and cooling properties. Tomatoes have high Vitamin C content which is very helpful for treating acne-prone skin. Also, tomatoes have natural oil-absorbing acids that help get rid of excess oil.
- Take a tomato and cut it in half.
- Rub it on your skin for a few minutes.
- Let the juice to get absorbed into your skin for about 15 minutes.
- Wash your skin with cold water afterwards.
- Pat your face dry and apply a mild oil-free moisturizer.
- Optionally, you can also use a face mask by mixing 3 tbsp of tomato juice with 1 tbsp of honey.
9.) Egg Whites to Get Rid of Oily Skin
Eggs are known to be very rich in Vitamin A, it can help effectively in drying out skin blemishes. It can also help in toning and tightening up your oily skin. It is also among the best home remedies for oily skin treatment.
- Take 1 egg white and whip it until it get stiff.
- Spread it evenly on your skin.
- Let it dry before rinsing it off with warm water.
- Repeat this method 2 times a week.
10.) Yogurt to Prevent Oily Skin Fast and Naturally
Yogurt is also one of the best home remedies for oily skin treatment. Yogurt has lactic acid, which is quite helpful in exfoliation of the skin. It helps remove dirt and dead cells. It also helps absorb excess oil from the face.
- Take 1 tbsp of plain yogurt and apply it thoroughly and evenly on your face.
- Allow it to sit for 15 minutes.
- Afterwards, wash it off with cool water.
- Do this remedy once daily to get rid of oily skin naturally and fat.