Cradle cap is a form of dandruff that is common among toddlers. The symptoms of it include scaly and rough patches on the scalp, redness and loss of hair. However, it can also occur on the crease of the nose, diaper area, eyelids, ears and armpits. The good new is it isn’t a symptom of any serious problem. The exact cause of cradle cap is not yet known but it is assumed that certain hormones which the baby receives from his parents lead such condition. Whatever, the causes are there are several remedies to get rid of cradle cap.
Remedies to Get Rid of Cradle Cap:
1.) Breast Milk to Get Rid of Cradle Cap
Nothing can be effective as breast milk for baby’s soft and sensitive skin. It is packed with all the essential nutrients that the baby needs. Moreover, it has medicinal properties that help to prevent and treat the infection.
How to Apply Breast Milk?
- Apply some breast milk on the scalp of the baby. Then gently massage it. Do this during the baby’s bedtime.
- Leave it for a night and rinse it off the following morning. Use a soft brush to remove the flakes from the baby’s scalp.
- Rinse off the scalp with warm water and baby shampoo.
- Do this on the regular basis until the infection treated completely.
2.) Baby Shampoo to Get Rid of Cradle Cap
Baby shampoos are specially designed for baby’s sensitive skin therefore, it is an ideal remedy for cradle cap. It removes the flakes without harming the baby’s skin.
How to Apply Baby Shampoo?
- Take some baby shampoo into your palm and apply it on the babies scalp then pour warm water (not too warm) over it. Rub it until the leather is formed.
- Leave it on for a few minutes. But make sure that the shampoo does not come in contact with baby’s eye.
- Then gently pat it dry. Repeat this daily to treat the cradle cap.
3. Coconut Oil to Get Rid of Cradle Cap
One of the best household remedies for cradle cap is coconut oil. It is so mild that its won’t have side effect and can be used easily on the baby’s skin as well. It is a great moisturiser. It loosen the flakes of the cradle cap and nourishes the scalp. Moreover, it has antibacterial and antifungal properties that help to treat the infection from its root cause.
How to Apply Coconut Oil?
- Pour a generous amount of organic coconut on your palm and then gently rub it on the babies scalp.
- Let the oil work on the affected area for 15-20 minutes and then wash it off with warm water.
- Also, use babies (soft) brush too) to clean the flakes from the scalp.
- Do this once in a day until you get satisfactory results.
4) Olive Oil to Get Rid Cradle Cap
Another remedy that comes handy for treating the cradle cap is olive oil. It has healing and moisturising properties that help to treat cradle cap. It soften the flaky scales and then they are easy to remove. And the best thing is it does not harm baby’s sensitive skin.
How to Use Olive Oil?
- Warm a generous amount of olive oil (Do not over warm it).
- Before going to the bed gently massage this oil on the scalp of the baby and leave it overnight.
- Rinse it off on the following morning and shampoo it.
- Repeat this regularly or on an alternative day to cure cradle cap.
5) Almond Oil to Get Rid of Cradle Cap
Another oil that works wonder on baby’s skin is almond oil. It nourishes the baby’s sensitive and soft skin and treats the cradle cap as well. It has a light texture and loosens the flaky scalps and then you can rinse it to remove the flaky scale.
How to Apply Almond Oil?
- Mix almond oil and a few drops of almond oil. Mix it thoroughly.
- Gently massage it over the baby’s scalp. Leave it on for 15-20 minutes and then rinse it off with warm water and shampoo it.
- Do this regularly until you get satisfactory results.
6) Petroleum Jelly to Get Rid of Cradle Cap
You can also use petroleum jelly to treat the cradle cap. It moisturises the scalp of the baby and due to its healing properties, it helps to get rid of the scaly flakes.
How to Apply Petroleum Jelly?
- Massage a generous amount of petroleum jelly on the scalp of the baby before taking him for the bath.
- Pour warm water on his scalp and rinse the scalp properly.
- With the soft towel pet, the scalp dry.
- Do this 3-4 times a day to get rid of the cradle cap.
7. Mineral Oil to Get Rid of Cradle Cap
Mineral oil has healing and moisturising properties, therefore, it is one of the effective remedies for the cradle cap. It is found in most of the baby’s products, therefore, you can count on its advantages.
How to Apply Mineral Oil?
- Massage a generous amount of mineral oil on baby’s scalp.
- Leave it on for a few hours. Then apply baby shampoo on baby’s scalp and rub it off in the circular motion.
- After the massage wash the scalp thoroughly with warm water.
- Do this 3-4 times in a week to get rid of the cradle cap.
8.) Baking Soda to Get Rod of Cradle Cap
Baking soda also helps to treat the cradle cap and scalp infection. It absorbs the excess oil maintains the Ph level of the baby’s scalp.
How to Apply Baking Soda?
- Make a mixture of equal amount of baking soda and water.
- Spread this mixture on the baby’s scalp. Leave it on for a minute only (not more than it)
- Then rinse it off with the warm water followed by the shampoo. Do this regularly to cure cradle cap.
9.) Shea Butter to Get Rid of Cradle Cap
Shea butter is also one of the useful remedies for cradle cap. Its mild properties make it an effect remedy for baby scalp infection. It moisturises the skin and helps to remove the flaky scales.
How to Apply Shea Butter?
- Massage a generous amount of shea butter on the affected skin of the baby.
- Leave it on for 15-20 minutes and then with the help of soft toothbrush remove the flakes.
- Rinse off the baby’s scalp with warm water and then shampoo it.
- Pat it dry with soft towel.
- Do this until the cradle cap is treated completely.
10.) ACV to Get Rid of Cradle Cap
Apple cider vinegar has the acidic property that helps to treat the scalp infection and cradle cap. However, it is very strong especially for baby’s skin, so make sure you dilute it and apply with caution.
How to Apply ACV?
- Dilute one part of apple cider vinegar by mixing 2 parts of water to it.
- Gently rub this solution on the affected skin of the baby’s scalp.
- Leave it on for a few minutes and then rinse it off with the warm water, followed by shampoo.
- Do this 2-3 times a week to cure cradle cap.
Additional Tips to Get Rid of Cradle Cap:
- Do not exert pressure on baby’s head while following any of the above remedies.
- Keep a track on your baby’s diet.
- Make sure that you moisturise the baby’s scalp.
- Do not remove the flaky particles with the tweezers. Always use a soft brush to do so.
- If the problem is not treated in the course of time then consult your doctor.